Bret Michaels got through his comeback show on Friday night. He will not be getting through the next one.
The Poison frontman returned to the stage at The Bowl at Sugar Hill in Georgia on August 21, his first performance since emergency kidney stone surgery in July. According to a statement posted to Michaels’ social media accounts and reported by Ultimate Classic Rock, doctors and paramedics assessed him immediately after he came offstage and decided he could not carry on. He is now off the road for several months.
The first casualty is Saturday night’s headline slot at the Mountain Music Festival in Tennessee, which Sleaze Roxx reported he has withdrawn from. The statement suggests the rest of the year is going with it.
“Following Bret Michaels’ comeback show at The Bowl at Sugar Hill, doctors and paramedics determined immediately after the show that he still needs additional rest and recovery from his recent surgeries,” the announcement read. “Bret will be taking the next several months off to heal and get back to 100%.”
Two named physicians, Dr. Abby Borhan and Dr. Patel, were quoted directly. “We will be pulling Bret off the road for the time being,” they said. “He wanted to attempt this show, but we feel there is a much-needed period of rest and slow recovery ahead, especially considering the heat and humidity during the summer months and the effect it can have on his blood sugar levels.”
That last clause is the part worth reading twice. Michaels has lived with Type 1 diabetes since childhood, and the concern his doctors raised is not the kidney stone in isolation but what a summer of outdoor stages does to a diabetic body already recovering from surgery.
How he got here
The trouble started in mid-July, in the middle of his Live & Amplified 2026 solo tour. As Parade laid out at the time, Michaels had played Charleston, West Virginia on July 10, Grantville, Pennsylvania on July 11, and a private show for military families in Spokane, Washington on July 18. He had been performing in what his team described as “intense” pain for around a week. After the Spokane date, the pain became unmanageable and he was taken to hospital.
The diagnosis was a complicated obstructing kidney stone that required immediate surgery. Surgeons fitted a ureteral stent, a small tube running between kidney and bladder, to get him past a stone that would not pass on its own.
“The operation has been done and is complete,” Michaels wrote in a July 22 Facebook post. “I’m out of post-op recovery, and I’m doing everything within my power to feel better and continue playing great shows for great fans when I’ve got a complete clean bill of health.”
His medical team was more specific, and more cautious. Their statement cited “the nature of Michaels’ post-operative condition and underlying health factors (diabetes and lower back compression fracture)” in restricting him from performing for three to four weeks, with light physical activity only. Dr. Borhan added that he “must strictly refrain from all live performances until we re-evaluate his condition.”
Where the accounts diverge
The three-to-four-week window expired in mid-August, which is why Michaels was on a stage in Georgia at all. He had told fans he hoped to “hit the road late August back to delivering 1000% energy, intensity and truly nothing but a good time.” Billboard reported him praising his medical team as he paused the tour in July, sounding like a man planning a short break.
What the outlets covering Friday night do not agree on is how much is now canceled. Sleaze Roxx framed the news narrowly, around the Mountain Music Festival withdrawal. Ultimate Classic Rock read the same statement as taking out the remainder of the year. The statement itself splits the difference: it apologizes for “the rest of this year’s shows, including The Mountain Music Festival, private events and all the great shows coming up,” which reads as a broad cancellation, but attaches no revised dates and gives no return target beyond “several months.”
No promoter announcements had followed at the time of writing, and Michaels’ own tour page has not yet been updated to reflect the change. Ticket holders for fall dates are, for now, in the dark.
Not his first setback
Michaels has an unusually long medical file for a working musician, and he has generally chosen to talk about it publicly. In 2020 he had skin cancer removed. In 2023 he underwent surgery after doctors found cancer cells in his stomach, a fact he disclosed himself. In March 2024 he told fans, via a statement carried by American Songwriter, that he would be taking “most, if not all, of 2025 off” following “recent medical results and setbacks,” on the advice of his doctors and family.
“I truly need to recharge the batteries and get a good, much-needed physical tuneup,” he said then, promising a return “in 2026 and beyond.”
He did return in 2026. He got most of a tour out of it before his kidney gave way, and then one show out of the comeback. The pattern that emerges from Michaels’ own statements over the past two years is a man who keeps setting a date, meeting it, and being sent home again.
The framing from his camp remains relentlessly upbeat: “We now look ahead and to Bret being able to return healthy, strong and ready to rock.” The framing from his doctors is noticeably less so. Somewhere between those two positions is the question a lot of Poison fans were asking on Saturday morning, which is whether a 63-year-old with Type 1 diabetes, a fractured vertebra and a post-surgical stent should be attempting summer amphitheater shows at all.
For now, there is no rescheduled date and no return show on the calendar. There is only the statement, and the promise attached to it.



